5.14.2010

Time...

I made the blog loop this am and found Tonya Knapp's post Time, Time, Time about one author's ingenious ways of finding time to write...and I totally borrowed the Writing Time Tip cartoon from her site:)

Not sure if my comment was appreciated or not but I wrote:

"Boy, do I remember the days of writing in car line( always good for an hour) and–soccer, basketball, track, cheer-leading–practice (I think daughters don’t mind as much as boys because having the eccentric writing mom isn’t a bad thing), and at hundreds of doctor appointments…
I bribed my four year old one Big Comfy Couch at a time…
Over time I figured out what works for my primo-productivity (and especially now that my kids are older and understand the concept of “work”) which means going into my office and closing the door for defined work hours. No phone. No distractions.
It’s still a pretty cushy job, I’m my own boss, I set my own hours, and I can wear my PJ’s to the office.
Setting my own hours is a double edged sword because if I work 20, 40, 60 hours a week I have no one to blame but myself if I don’t reach my writing goals for the week.
Which brings me to goal setting. I define a goal for the year (2009 was to write and get accepted 12 novels) and then the big goal into workable chunks (one book per month) and then measurable (20K per week) and depending on how many days I planned to write (3-4K per day) and voila…
So, that’s what works for me…
Now, if I could just teach Petey (my male hound dog) to throw the Frisbee for Jazzi (my gal Aussie shepherd) I could really get some work done!"

No comments: