7.11.2008

Remember Ruby?

Once upon a time The Body Shop had a poster...

I want this doll!

The rubinesque Anti-Barbie is named Ruby and has been recently featured as one of the all-time best censored in advertizing...actually Mattel had a cease and desist order against The Body Shop because the poster was offensive...

Here is another article of note about Ruby.

Actually, I'd like to find the doll...or find a similar doll because my granddaughters are spending the first two weeks of August with me and I want to sit with them and play dolls. Do you know what it is like to have 2 granddaughters coming to visit and not having dolls in the house to play with? And I refuse to buy Barbies...which I find offensive.

Why? Oh please, don't get me started...in a house where I've raised three daughters and seen first hand the damage Hollywood and the fashion industry has done on not only my daughter's self-esteem but also their friends self esteem...

I've seen middle daughter's friend hospitalized for anorexia...at 14 yrs old she weighed 49 pounds.

My oldest daughter in tears because she would never be smaller than a size ten (at six feet tall and German heritage...trust me a 10 was small!)

And my youngest daughter now on a diet...even though she's a size 4.
Please!

I've done my best promoting positive self-image and self-worth, but the media seems to be stronger than words and advice...

So for my grandbabies...I'm looking for dolls...

So if anyone has any ideas...

No comments: