3.12.2008

Living In The US Has It's Advantages...


Okay, so I'm not talking about merely living in the land of milk and honey when I say that the US has it's advantages and granted most of us don't think about it on a daily basis...but some of us do.

I am thankful and when someone in government gets too loud touting their fundamentalist religion background I get concerned...paranoid a little, you ask...I'll tell you, about some things being watchful is better than paranoid.

Lets face it, the US is a diverse melting pot...and I'm not talking nation of ancestry...we're religiously diverse and one of the few countries where putting a "Pagan and Proud" bumbersticker on your car won't have you living in fear. The witch trials really aren't that distant a horror...and religion is the cause of most violence in most countries. Witches are still burned alive overseas...

Another horror is the one that faces anyone who is sexually different...

If you've read the news about Mehdi Kazemi then you will know that his latest bid for asylum failed yesterday and he faces return to Iran and most probably hanging...for sodomy.

I don't know about you, but I'm thankful that no one gives a damn if I have a strap-on under the bed...

So if you haven't thought about the freedoms you do have...maybe today would be a good day to start.
PS
Hiking photos have been added to the blizzard hike post

1 comment:

Y said...

I think you are right about being greatful (great pic by the way). It seems to me that a person can come up against religious persecution no matter what path they might choose to follow. It does make me greatful to live in my lil spot here I beautiful Ak.