1.30.2008

Big Wind!!!

Whew! We survived last night...wind gusts of 70mph out here in our "prairie"...
The dog was terrified...
The cats hid...
I was THRILLED Sir Hotness was home and not out of state (Or the country since he co-workers are all hanging out in India the next two weeks)...

Honestly, last night was scary...
And if scared already, why not kick it up a notch with the master of horror?
That's right...I laid in bed with the covers up to my chin, listening to the wind HOWL around our house, reading Duma Key by Stephen King...

So far, halfway in...I'm loving it.

This morning, we woke up to sunny skies and much colder temperatures but at least the wind has died down, the pergola is still standing, and we have a roof. Yay.

Also this morning, I spent an hour discussing the troubles in Haiti and why the world news led with Hungry Haitians Resort To Eating Dirt . Sir Hotness, who is reading Collapse by Jared Diamond, had valuable insight into the mess and why the Dominican Republic (on the same island as Haiti) is in much better shape...and also insight into why deforrestization has led to many of Haiti's problem going so far as to say that Haiti's problem could become a global problem if China and other huge deforresters don't start replanting efforts...but that's my soapbox for another day.

1 comment:

Rhonda L. Jones said...

I'm tempted to purchase a polar bear b/c I'm tired of being cold. But I like scary wind storms. And scary books.