6.07.2007

A Psychology Lesson

Once upon a time, almost thirty-five years ago, I was the tom-boy on the street. I only played with the boys, telling my mother that the girls played stupid games...the boys played all the cool games, like cobs and robbers, cowboys and indians, prison of war...

I liked to play with the boys because I always ended up being tied up, restrained...sometimes abused, but it was never sexual...I didn't learn it could be sexual and a game adults played until much much later.

All I knew was that I liked it, needed it...craved it. On the days I wasn't allowed to play outside...I took care of my own needs with toy handcuffs, ropes, sheets...anything that I could use to feel "good".

Sound like a child in need of serious psychological counceling? It seems I'm not alone...

Tonight, while doing research for Dr. Psycho's character, I found this interesting article in Psychology Today which I will quote from here:
"Bind my ankles with your white cotton rope so I cannot walk. Bind my wrists so I cannot push you away. Place me on the bed and wrap your rope tighter around my skin so it grips my flesh. Now I know that struggle is useless, that I must lie here and submit to your mouth and tongue and teeth, your hands and words and whims. I exist only as your object. Exposed.

Of every 10 people who reads these words, one or more has experimented with sadomasochism (S & M), which is most popular among educated, middle- and upper-middle-class men and women, according to psychologists and ethnographers who have studied the phenomenon."

You can read the entire article here.

Funny, I've never thought of myself as unusual...I thought I had the normal childhood experiences...until I shared a little too much and was told just how "weird" my listener thought I was...thank goodness their opinion didn't matter so much although I admit, for a bit, I kept my desires secret...throwing out "bait" on occasion, off color remarks, jokes, simple words...to see how people would react...and in doing so, I found the niche in society who were just as "weird" as I was...and amazingly, many of us did share very early experiences, as this Psychology Today article also indicates. Here's a few quotes I found noteworthy...

"The satisfaction gained from S & M is something far more than sex," explains Roy Baumeister, Ph.D., a social psychologist at Case Western Reserve University. "It can be a total emotional release."

Meredith Reynolds, Ph.D., the Sexuality Research Fellow of the Social Science Research Council, confirms that childhood experiences may shape a person's sexual outlook.
"Sexuality doesn't just arise at puberty" she says. "Like other pans of someone's personality, sexuality develops at birth and takes a developmental course through a person's life span."


"I'm interested in manipulating what's in the mind," Lily Fine (a professional dominatrix who teaches S & M workshops across North America,) says. "The brain is the greatest erogenous zone."

3 comments:

Darragha! said...

There's your story, Rox. The little girl who wants the neighborhood boys to tie her up--and she doesn't understand why until years later. Can Dr. Psycho help her embrace her passions? I bet you have a few readers who would pay to find out :)

Bonnie Dee said...

Fascinating words. Unraveling the reasons behind whatever sexual fetishes drive a person is always intriguing to me.

Mima said...

i think you're really lucky, roxy, that it worked out you didn't fall prey.

2 things:
1. I work in a building with 1000 K-3 students. Adults who don't think children have sexual lives are deluded. We have transgendered ("i'm really meant to be a girl" says one 8 year old who wears barrettes every day), homosexual (both ways), sadists (the pleasure as they hurt frightens me), masochists (including cutters, arguably not sexual), fetishists (comfort object my ass, that kid gets off on it), and sluts (taking digital pics of boys genitals and telling people they had sex with them- age 6).

2. children are capable of vastly powerful life decisions. their force of will is just as honorable as an adult's. i've seen kids decide not to talk, and become elective mutes for the rest of their school careers. as a 7 year old i knew i never wanted to be a mother. years later, i found that most women who choose to be childfree are early identifiers.

childhood isn't some nirvana of innocence. it's the crucible our future selves are born in.