7.07.2009

Feminist vs Romance Conversation Continues

In 1970, feminist Germaine Greer claimed (reading romance novels) and I assume writing them) enslaved women, encouraging them to cherish "the chains of their bondage." Always controversial, Greer has had an inspirational career writing such novels as The Female Eunuch, in which she argued women do not realise how much men hate them, and how much they are taught to hate themselves.

Wow, have we come a long way.
At least, as women we are now encouraged to love ourselves and empower ourselves.

As a response to this difference, an article,Scholarly Writers Empower Romance, declares romance as a genre empowers women.

I'm not sure if romance is empowering women, but I do think women are now empowered enough that we don't need anyone telling us how we have to look, act, or think to be a feminist. We're not ashamed of what we read anymore than we're not ashamed of sliding into a dress or heels for special occasions.

A scientific study was conducted by Laurie Rudman and Julie Phelan of Rutgers University who found that romance and feminism are not in direct conflict. And may actually improve heterosexual relationships.

Which makes me ask, what about bisexual or homosexual relationships? Were individuals who identify other than heterosexual not studied? Or is there not enough LGBT-romance on the market for them to feel a study was practical?

Hmmmm.

I'm hopeful. It seems that gay material is becoming more and more available in response to public buying response. With my first F/F having gained a publisher, I can only be hopeful that it is a sign, that the market is opening for lesbian and bisexual female romance.
Now, if I can just get the word out so that all of my bisexual and lesbian friends will BUY, BUY, BUY ensuring my publisher (Samhain Publishing) is happy with the results! One thing for certain, I'll keep you posted.

No comments: