2.03.2009

An Epiphany...

So, I've had grandbabies all day...I adore my grandbabies and cherish every minute with them...but having them cuts into my writing time. Meaning, I just don't write while they are here...

In preparation, knowing that they were coming this morning, I wrote as late as I possibly could last night...actually until the wee hours of the morning...on the short piece I'm targeting for the Samhain Bind Antho...

Ten-K words into it...I realized...this is the wrong story...
I love epiphanies...

So, I've spent the day, numbing my brain on cartoons and carbohydrates and dwelling on which story is the right story...and then it dawned on me. I already wrote the right story. At least ten thousand words of it...

As soon as the grandbabies headed for home, I pulled it off the hard drive and started reading. Six thousand words that had me in laughter and tears. I had to take two breaks just to remind myself that I am not the person in the story...she is fictional...her emotion doesn't have to be my emotion...

Sir Hotness watched my face like it was the most fascinating movie...

"I never finished it," I said when I was done reading through it. "I couldn't do it."

I'm still wondering if the next ten thousand words to finish it can ever measure up to the first ten thousand words...I honestly don't know...but I'm going to give it my best shot.

Fear kept me from finishing it...
Now it's time to be brave.

And even if it isn't selected for the antho...I'll still feel accomplished...because this short story is probably the best piece of fiction I've ever written.

1 comment:

Trina M. Lee said...

In the latest Anita Blake book by Laurell K. Hamilton somebody mentions that being brave doesn't mean you're not afraid, it means you are terrified and do it anyway. Good luck with the submission!