1.13.2009

When Two People Create A Baby...

Controversy is brewing in the Ohio Valley...
Reported on WLWT-5 out of Cincinnati is the story of a gay man, Scott Mullen, and a lesbian woman, Kelly Mullen, who decided to have a child. Their daughter is now the center of a huge custody battle...

It seems Scott and Kelly are completely amicable even though they live separately with their same sex partners...they wish to share custody...so no problems, right?

Wrong.

A third party has entered the picture, Kelly Mullen's ex, the woman she was living with when her daughter was born...the woman who has (I assume) helped raise "their" daughter...

And because of a living will that listed the ex as the mother's choice to raise the child should Kelly die, a Hamilton County judge has awarded a temporary visitation schedule based on custodial rights to the ex...currently both Scott and Kelly have united to "fight against" this ruling, stating that, "this isn't a Gay Rights issue..."

I really am not sure what this is...if not a gay rights issue...
And I'm hoping to find out more, although multiple searches on the Internet have given me nothing...I'm not really a big fan of the local news team who seems to sensationalize a bit...

I'd like more facts...

Right now, as sympathetic as I am for the biological parents, I am also sympathetic to the ex...the woman that Kelly obviously loved enough to name in her living will...the woman who obviously loves the child enough to want to stay in her life...

Of course WLWT-5 is pandering to the attentions of the religious crowd (it seems) stirring things up a bit to increase ratings maybe by leading with "a same sex custody battle that will change parental rights in Ohio..." and further stating that the way this case ends could "open the door for any third party, including caretakers/ babysitters"...

I'm sorry, but if I lived with a woman, loved her, went through a pregnancy with her, and brought home a baby with her that I loved as my own...I would expect more rights than the babysitter...

Of course, I would also hope that the woman I loved wouldn't ban me from her child's life when she kicked me to the curb for the "new girl"...

I'll try to find out more as this story progresses...
But for now, I'm asking...what are your thoughts?

No comments: