11.14.2007

I Know Nothing About Wine

Don't get me wrong, I love wine...I probably like really stellar beers better...but really there is nothing better than watching Sir Hotness get really stoked over a good bottle of wine. Watching him is amazing and thus I am gaining a finer appreciation for wines...even though we don't like the same kind of wines. I did accidentally pick out a wine we both enjoyed for his birthday, but I picked that wine solely because it was red, over $40. (has to be good right?), and the label had a guy in iron shackles...gotta love a guy in chains:)
He's a Shiraz guy...I prefer a Chianti or a Dry Riesling...but what that equates to is he likes wine that tastes like dirt and cough medicine (my words) meaning picking up those eucalyptus notes...I'm not sure how he describes them, seems like he uses "leggy", "jammy" and "black pepper" a lot...and yet I've never picked up anything that remotely tastes like black pepper when I'm drinking wine.

So, in an effort to be supportive of one of my hubby's fav hobbies, I've been covertly watching Gary V. on Wine Library TV (I think of them as my private Wine Tasting Classes even though hundreds of other viewers are tuned in as well)... because he talks about wine in terms I understand (even going so far as to say it tastes like gasoline) and I don't feel so stupid when I tell my honey, "This tastes like dirt with a back of the tongue licorice taste"...(making my honey extremely happy that I'm picking out "notes" of the "bouquet" even though I'm not using the same words he would use).

It must be love...or else I really do have the wine bug and haven't admitted it yet...although more and more my getaway fantasy's have more to do with Vineyard Tours and less to do with glorious views and hot tubs...mmmm...maybe we could combine both?

All I know is...I will find the perfect wine for Sir Hotness for Yule...I have faith in Gary V...

watch a little Wine Library TV



Direct Video Link

BTW...
Gary V, my best kept secret officially became a celebrity by being spotlighted on CNN. Congrats!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Wine with a guy in chains! That cracks me up. REALLY. You did not say if you actually liked the wine.

I admit it, I like to experiment with wine, so I go for the price range, type of wine and label. BUT CHAINS? Umm. NO.

That's for novels. I did love "7 Deadly Zins" for a Zinfindel. Cheaper than $40, but we drink it a lot more than a special occasion!

Roxy Harte said...

OMG Sir Hotness and I have consumed so many bottles of "7 Deadly Zins"!!!

I have thought about having a "What wine we're drinking today" note on each blog but I figured some of my readers might think I'm an alcoholic!

Mmmmm...what we had this at lunch was amazing and like $15. I'll have to go find the bottle and let you know...it was a shiraz blend...lots of dark fruit notes...I really enjoyed it...

Sir Hotness swirled and sniffed and swished his test sip...repeat... then pronounced it "wonderful" by then I was on my second glass ... sometimes I'm glad I know absolutely nothing about wine;)

Roxy Harte said...

Found the bottle...
MASI Valpolicella 2005 Bonacosta