10.03.2007

Has Anyone Actually READ Submissive?


I'm a little disappointed this morning because I thought with Tuesday's post someone would come forward and say that they Had Read and enjoyed Submissive ... or Had Read and equally hated both Dominant and Submissive, but alas no ...

although one anonymous writer wrote, "I really enjoyed both works. Roxy, you rock and you know it!! so I know at least one person read "submissive" and actually liked it. YAY!!

in addition, the original six harbinger's of bad reviews ... have still not made it as far as Submissive, having stopped reading the antho mid-way through Dominant.

Heavy sigh...

I know how important the first five pages of a story are. There are a multitude of books out there to teach authors how to captivate someones attention and keep them reading ... to teach authors how to connect with their reader immediately ...

But come on! It's an ANTHOLOGY, meaning TWO STORIES. For me, I buy a lot of anthos and Collections ... knowing that if I'm not a big fan of one story ... I can "skip it" and go to the next one ... finding years later when I pick up the book and reread and find skipped over ones that sometimes I really enjoy them ... not because the story changed but because time and experience changed me.

So again, if you stopped dead in your tracks or threw the book across the room ... (as I have sometimes done myself ... in print ... poor computer if you get that mad at your e-book) ... please, skip to the middle of the book and read on...

As I advised "Stalker Girl" last night at midnight when she phoned me ... "PLEASE!! Read my story!"

To be fair ... last night, following our long phone conversation that led into the wee hours of the a.m., I see the problem with "Dominant" as being its first five pages are not indicative of a Romance Novel ... ditto its first five pages are not indicative of an Erotica. That's a problem since our target audience is erotic romance readers ...

If anything, this has been a learning experience ... and after the impassioned midnight phone call last night ... I concede ... there are problems with some elements of B.D. Dark's Dominant. I agree with the need for the heroine to feel some "doubt", "remorse", "sadness", "guilt" or "loss of self" ... but then THAT IS WHAT I WRITE ... so THAT is MY voice. It isn't necessarily B.D. Dark's and in her world maybe all the submissive's follow blindly wanting only to do their Master's will without thought or question ... it happens ...

I'm seriously not being a smart-ass here ...

Even though my friend's will undoubtedly be trying to read between the lines this morning...

Here's the easy link to BUY Dom/sub if you don't already know what all the drama is about...

And Thank Goddess I have the final pages of Lord Fyre's story, Unholy Promises: The Third Book in The Chronicles of Surrender from Liquid Silver Books to keep my mind off sales of Dom/sub ...

And not to be UNDONE ... my story "submissive" is a prologue to the story A Submissive Heals which will hopefully be coming from Loose-Id late Winter/early Spring ...


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, yes, yes folks! I concur with Roxy 100%...don't jump the shark immediately and pan a book or an author based on a co-writer's story. There are two entirely different fan bases here, remember that! Yes, we've all read books and couldn't "get into" them in the first chapters...and since this IS an anthology, you are permitted to go ahead and read the 2nd book! It's NOT like skipping to the end of a book to see what happens...yeah, we've all done that - patience is a virtue! (one I don't always possess). So before we lambast Roxy for B.D. Dom portion, let's keep our heads. Who knows, B.D. may receive similar complaints? Could happen, it's just important to keep in mind that if we prefer one author over the other, that's fine. Art is subjective after all! Be cool Roxy, you always are! Fans - take a chill pill, wash down with some good vino. When you wake up next week, you'll feel much better! With love & affection, Forgotten Girl

Anonymous said...

I liked your story but I also liked BD Dark's story I think it was very valid (for what that's worth) What really irks me the most from what I've read on this blog is that the ones who are complaining act like there is never any danger in a real BDSM relationship and that everyone learns from the pros before they embark and that is so not the truth of it! People get hurt...mentally, physically and emotionally! I can see where Roxy is concerned about her readership not getting to her story, and then there is the concern about how it will be received by the reviewers, but from me: Five Stars, ladies!!
sign me, Wishing I Could Write With The Emotion and Inner Understanding That Roxy Harte Does!

Y said...

I just finished it and I was SOOO happy to see that we will be getting more of this story. I loved it!!! Roxy you totally get me all into the story and I can FEEL the emotions. I can't wait to read more and I am even more excited to hear about the third Sacred book.
I read the B.D. Dark story and don't quite understand what the big deal was, it was kind of like reading someone's diary and I didn't find it offensive...but that is just me. I like to keep an open mind when I am reading. It is no fun to read the same story over and over, I like diversity.
Anyhow, I just wanted to let you know, Roxy, I loved your story and I am hooked. *grin*
Have a rockin week
-Y-

Roxy Harte said...

Thanks Y!!

I don't think the problem was BD's story, just that people expected what happened in the first few pages and they stopped reading! Not even bothering to get to my story at all...

So I'm glad you made it all the way through!!!!

Hugs
Roxy

Bonnie Dee said...

On my first read through of Roxy's, submissive I was floored when I got to the end. "But wait a minute, that can't be it! What happens next?" I don't know if she intended it when she first started writing or if it evolved along the way, but clearly this needed to become a much longer tale.

Can't wait to see what happens to our heroine next in her sequel novel! It should be an intense and interesting journey.

Anonymous said...

MM I wouldn't surmise that they would I mean you can lift breasts up by the nipples no problem if the rings are a decent guage the whole body mmmm maybe with hooks through the breasts but hardly with clamps on nipple rings.

It wouldn't be pleasant tho an easy way to cane under the breasts ;-)

Dov