6.26.2007

Joyfully Reviewed

I dunno, maybe it's because I spent the morning with my critique partner and was left feeling a little out of sorts...or maybe I'm feeling out of sorts because the NEW NOVEL growing roots in my head is leaving room for anything else, but this review didn't overly excite me...not a bad review, not a great review, just a little ho-hum for my taste...

Let me know what you think...

Bella of Joyfully Reviewed has this to say about Sacred Revelations:
"Celia Brentwood has been through hell and back. Brutalized by her former boss, she’s rescued by her Master, Garrett Lawrence, sometimes known as Ice. After recovering from her injuries, she agrees to seek her darkness at the hands of Dominant Sadist Thomas Stephanopolis, also known as Lord Fyre.

Lord Fyre has her for three months, during which time she comes to realize she loves both men and can’t bear to not have both of them in her life. The two men complete her, two halves of her, Fyre and Ice, darkness and light. Will the men share her, or will she find herself losing both of them?

Sacred Revelations is the story of one woman’s dark journey of emotional and physical pain and rebirth into herself. It’s a raw and often a disturbing look into Celia’s psyche, all at once delicate and strong. Loving two very different Dominant men, first Garrett, then Thomas, as Lord Fyre, it takes a journey into her own darkness to appreciate Garrett’s light.

Celia battles many demons in this story, including her religious family, her past and the battle that rages within her regarding her masochistic, submissive desires. There is sex involved, but that really doesn’t seem to be the focus here. What really seems to surge to the forefront is the dark tone of the story, the agony and the ecstasy of Celia’s inner discovery of love: of herself, and of the two men who love her in return. The tumultuous twists of this complex plot made Sacred Revelations a difficult read at times. However, if you enjoy intense plots with BDSM/Menage themes, you’ll enjoy Sacred Revelations."

Hmmmm...when she said, "There is sex involved..." I was left wondering if she read the sex scenes...because each scene had specific intent that revealed another layer...

and when she said, "The tumultrous twists of this complex plot ... a difficult read..." did she mean literally "hard to read" or "Emotionally distressing"...?

Reading her review, I was left wondering if she enjoyed the story herself, was she affected, touched, or left completely unchanged?

I guess it's going to be one of those days...
Tonight I am starting The Novel...and alcohol may be involved...you know it's going to be a tough writing experience when you have to start drinking before the title is even typed...as a matter of fact, I may not have mentioned it before but I pull a lot of personal emotion and angst out of my own soul to feed into the writing so that my characters come to life...this one seems to be drawing emotion from me before I even start writing and usually I just yank it out of myself on a scene by scene basis...maybe that's why I'm procrastinating...

Or maybe it's just gonna be one of those days.

5 comments:

Y said...

I can see why you would be left...wanting with that review. The parts you pointed out were the parts i was wondering what she meant, i am not sure what i would think of this book if i was to go off this review alone. It doesn't seem to be a bad review...just kinda hmmmm "blah". i don't envy what you will have to go through to write your next one, but i totally look forward to it.
-y-

Anonymous said...

Hiya!
I just finished, WOW that was an amazing book. I couldn't tear myself away from it. the way everything came together...her constant battle...Garrett's background...Thomas's family...wow! will there be more? there is just so much swimming in my mind now from their stories, oh swimming WOW that ocean part, with the sharks Oh GOODNESS. so much i want to say and not the right words to say it....just that i LOVED this book. this is was an adventure, a rush, great ending of the book...ooooooooo i hope it is not the end of the story??? hmmmm but i suppose every good story has to come to an end huh? well i loved it.
looking forward to your next story,

Anonymous said...

Next book NEEDS to be written. Old writing partner is very good for some things, but it is also ok to grow beyond and develop! Realize who everyone involved is and match up the critiquing appropriately, but then you know all this already. I'm behind you 100% of the way! (and not with a handheld device, if that's what you're thinking...or maybe?) LOL! Love you lots! GWNN (girl with no name)

Roxy Harte said...

GWNN????This is because you keep forgetting your name right?

Seriously...thank yolu for the pep talk, on this page and on the phone...sorry you had to bear the brunt of my meltdown...

All better now, Typed title and first paragragh, drank a beer, now I'm on to paragragh two...this could take awhile.

Anonymous said...

I should sign up as GWEN to commemorate my GWNN poster moniker. I can remember that, I think?! No problem to call me anytime, it's nice to be able to return the favor! Give and take, balance is important. I am stocked up with alcohol (cept couldn't find that fermented sugar cane in the big city with time constraint to look for, maybe Sept?) Talk to you later & see ya tmrw.!