1.24.2007

Am I Geeky/Nerdy?

One of my every few day blog visits is to a lovely girl's site named Mistress Matisse's Journal. Some of my regular reader's already know this because I've taken you there on field trips in the past...and also to her primary and secondary partner's sites just because they too have interesting topics or pictures on occasion.

Today, Mistress Matisse wrote:
"Not surprisingly, many of my kinky pals are also pretty geeky/nerdy. (There is a definite overlap between certain social subcultures. For example, take these groups: BDSM people, pagans, Ren Faire people, Goths, poly people, and science fiction/fantasy fans. These social groups interlock like the Olympic rings, if you actively participate in any one of them, you definitely know people in some of the others. And chances are good you actually belong to more than one group. Why is this true? That I can't say, although it's amusing to speculate about after a drink or two.)"

Although I laughed, nodding my head in agreement about the interlocking rings, her POV raised a very serious question since I currently fit into at least four of the six groups and at least once in my life five categories simutaneously...Am I GEEKY/NERDY? Because I've never considered myself geeky or nerdy...although my teenage daughter tells me on an almost daily basis that I am indeed...

When I think of geeks...and or nerds...I always think of the science geeks ...you know, the guys who keep three pens handy in their front shirt pockets...(no offence Sir Hotness because even though you are a microbiologist you are totally not geeky or nerdy in my mind either, even though I'm sure back in the day you founded the H.S. Science Club;)

I don't think of my friend Xandra, who fits at least three of the catagories as well, even though she may call herself a geek...I'll have to ask her because she also does role-playing games and she's currently pouting about her soon to be internet-less status...

And ...come to think of it I'm pretty sure Sir Hotness enjoys role-playing games too...so according to Matisse's definition both Xandra and Sir Hotness are Geeky Nerds.

I am therefore safe because I do not play role-playing games...Ha!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmmm - see - that's one of the thangs i love about you Rox - you make me ponder shit i never would otherwise. I fit in three of the categories, or i used to, sorta ...kinda... since punk predates goth - at least in my life's timeline. And if you were something before, but reallly aren't anymore, but still embrace the tenants, does that make you are part of it... or not? Jeez - i feel like the Catepillar in Alice.

As for geekydom - i feel like i'm the anti-geek but am told i have very geeky tendancies just because i work with computers and am intuitive with them. Uh - hello, savviness does not a geek make. I think everyone's definition what exactly is geekiness has blurred. Either that... or they're all drunk.

Athena Grayson said...

Yes. I am g33k. Hear me l337! I'm a n3rd, too. :P I'm quite proud of the monikers. Living on the fringes is what makes life interesting! When the world doesn't automatically accept or cater to your interests, you find yourself becoming more creative, and more open-minded, and you find kinship with others who are also frequently misunderstood. Gamers use our imaginations...ergo we are quite...imaginative. ;)