3.14.2009

Did Anyone Notice?

Yesterday was Friday the Thirteenth, the second Friday the thirteenth in as many months...back to back...and it was a full moon...

Seems like the perfect time to talk about my split-writer-personality...

I love, love, love to write about sex, BDSM, and unusual romances...thus, Roxy Harte, erotica writer...

But I've also been writing paranormal both romantic and straight fiction since 1996...without submitting...because I've seen them as stories just for me. A vacation from my norm...

Recently, I've been looking them over with a critical eye and feel that they are just as well written, just as entertaining as my erotica, and I've been thinking, why not try to get them published?

Intent I have put in motion this month with my submission to Liquid Silver Books of REAPER...and had accepted...so it is coming soon. I am very excited!

I have several more I plan to spruce up, finish (they're kind of in an unfinished limbo on the back burner), and get submitted...

And I know I am not the first writer to worry about such things, but my pen name, Roxy Harte, has become associated with BDSM emotionally-psychologically charged erotica...and I don't want someone to pick up one of my paranormals and think that is what they are getting. Likewise, I do not want someone whose first impression of my writing as paranormal to pick up a BDSM charged erotic and hurl obsenities at me because they didn't realize what they were getting...

So what to do? What to do?

I'm leaving the question open over the weekend, anyone with any ideas or comments, anyone who has previously dealt with a similar issue or was disappointed or pleasantly surprised by an author who pulled a genre-changaroo...comment. I need input...

I'm kind of toying with using my maiden name...instead of Roxy Harte.
Or I could used my married name (which would be strange because I never changed my name to the last name of my latest husband)...

1 comment:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Perhaps it's an idea to use a different name for the different genres. Personally, if a writer likes to branch out through genres, I'm willing to go along for the ride, but I realize the average reading public can get rather passionate if their expectations are fiddled with in any way. Strange to think of readers being so passionate, throwing books across rooms and all that, but there you go.