2.24.2009

This Is A Problem...

So, I think I wrote a few weeks ago that I was writing a short WIP for submission to the Bind Anthology Samhain is acquiring for...

So how's that going? you ask.

Well, let me tell you about it...

I started working on "Freedom" ... and half-way in I had the thought, "Oh! Oh,oh. Oh! I have that little thing tucked away on my harddrive that I could just polish up and be done with it...WIP: Prodigal Slave...yeah, I started polishing and a week later, I'm at 34K." The anthology target is 20k-25k. That means I either have to whittle it back down for the antho...or add 20k to make it a novel. It's back on the backburner...

Meanwhile, last week I pulled another short from the backburner...WIP: Under The Big Top...knowing all it needed was the final scene...a little tie me up and throw knives at me number...the setting is a circus...trust me the scene is very erotic...but the more I imagined and typed...I decided this is never going to work for the anthology and so started turning the work into a quick little something for Liquid Silver Books that would have been an unexpected boon because I've been wanting to try writing something a little different...and this one would be perfect for their Sterling line, which is a little softer, sweeter...and I'm staying on track as far as pacing. The problem is I decided that the main male character should be a werewolf and now my plot is outgrowing my original romance-novel intent, it's sort of morphing into a full-grown urban fantasy. My first thought of a quick 40K "quickie" is now turning into my second thought of, "Oh shit, I doing it again." So this morning I sit with 26k already written and a decision to make...I either have to rein in the plot and turn the spin back toward the softer, sweeter side of erotic for LSB Sterling...or I need to continue on my present course and see what it morphs into because at this point there isn't an erotic bone in its body...I know! How crazy is that?...There's potential for soft erotic...but not yet.

Meanwhile, back on to the anthology, which is supposed to be my prime focus this week. I'm back to square one. Looks like I'm going back to where I left off with Freedom...

Oy vey...

No comments: