11.17.2008

Not The Snows of Kilimanjaro


I wonder if not for Hemingway's short piece would we even know the place, Kilimanjaro? Or that Kilimanjaro should be covered in snow?

I'm not a big news watcher, especially morning news...but when I heard about the Today's show new segment titled "To The Ends of the Earth" wherein the program's four chief personalities will embark on lengthy road trips to illustrate environmental stories...I wanted to know more. Premiering this morning, it was announced that Ann Curry would be climbing Kikimanjaro, her summit planned for during Friday's episode...if all goes well...and if she summits at all.

I'm not disputing that Kilimanjaro is a hard climb, or that Ann is 52, a woman...and so on...merely that I can only take hype in small doses...

Personally, I would watch anyway because the show is highlighting a concern...the Kilimanjaro glaciers are shrinking...rapidly. Is there anything we can do about it?
Isn't that this centuries debate? I say no, but I'm no scientist...

If you are curious, here is more from National Geographic...

Anyway, here's a clip from Friday...

No comments: