2.24.2008

New Puppy in the House


The Universe provides in mysterious ways...
I didn't wake up Saturday morning expecting to become a puppy owner, in fact, that was probably the farthest thing from my mind since I woke up wholly focused on finishing WIP ...Chronicles of Surrender: Unholy Promises.

That swiftly fell apart when my oldest daughter showed up with grand babies and a new puppy in tow...
Asking how they ended up with a puppy generated the response that my neighbor was giving puppies away(realizing that I live in the middle of nowhere and the neighbor is half a mile away)... Did I want one? My immediate response was "No" because I was holding out for a guard dog...something family friendly but that would scare the crap out of anyone else approaching the house.

The big question of course was "What breed are they?"
Answer: half Australian Shepherd, half black lab

Suddenly, Sir Hotness was interested in the puppies too... after all there wouldn't be any chance the puffballs will turn into a 125lb giant...as would have the Tibetan Mastiff.
His interest is probably because of the damage done by this TM. Or it might be because he was telling his boss that I wanted one and that garnered the reply, "You might want to think twice about that... and this is why..." Turns out his in-laws own a TM and live in a subdivision. One day their TM took a walk and brought home a deer. The neighbors were in an uproar that if the dog was big enough to down a wild animal and drag it home...what would he do to the neighbor's kids playing out front?
Anyway, Faced with the option of small and cuddly, he jumped on the idea of a mixed breed that will only get up to about 45-55lbs.
Long story short, I went to the neighbors and found out that the puppies have been living outside for the last three weeks. Lets review the weather here in Ohio...negative digits, high wind gusts, snow, sleet, rain, more snow, followed by raining ice...then I asked to see the puppies and found them not in a pen or even a fenced yard...with no dog house or shelter in sight. My son-in-law admitted that they ended up with puppy number one because it ran across the road to yap at him when he stopped at the corner store for a gallon of milk on the way to my house.
I was fuming at the lack of care and/or concern.
I saved a life by taking in Jazzy, as did my daughter in taking in Lily, that I don't doubt...and in the meantime I'm barely restrained to keep from calling the Humane Society to talk to them about the treatment of the puppy's mother.
So anyway...I now have a puppy...
Lets just hope the little powder puff can learn to defend her turf...

She's a cutey...
Her name is Jazzmine

No comments: