11.22.2007

Thankful ... and Horrified

Today is Thanksgiving and today I am thankful that I live in the USA because I can let it be known that I am disgruntled, which I am about to do, and even though I am sometimes surprised by the rulings our judicial system comes up with ... I am never completely horrified and moved to vomit as I was today. Here's what happened:

Home from work this a.m., he asked, "Did you see the news?"

"News? What news? The news that Britney Spears was a bad parent again? Or the news that the Cowboys Throttled the Jets? Or maybe the Sextuplet That went home from the Fla hospital today?" ... he just raised his brow.
"I'm sorry, I'm only as well informed as USA, AOL, and MSN allow me to be, why what happened?"

He was shocked and amazed that I truly hadn't heard about the young Saudi Arabian woman who was raped (that's putting it mildly...after I did some research, Six men Gang Raped her) and was sentenced to 100 Lashes for her crime.

"Holy shit! A hundred lashes? Seriously? For being raped? Can't a hundred lashes KILL a person?" We're not talking grins and giggles lashing here, folks, we're talking about the real deal by which she will be lucky if she escapes merely scarred for life.

I researched...not a peep in our US Headlines...and actually I'm not surprised...and a note to my dear readers who still love President Bush and continue to idolize him, I apologize in advance for hurting your feelings when you read what I am about to say...I'm not surprised because our US newspapers don't dare say anything bad about the man. Not that there isn't plenty that needs to be said...but that's an entirely different blog...

Today I am Thankful the BBC isn't controlled by our leaders...
The BBC led this morning with this quote by Hillary Clinton:
"I urge President Bush to call on King Abdullah to cancel the ruling and drop all charges against this woman," she said. "As president I will once again make human rights an American priority around the world."

A woman is going to suffer at the hands of her government by receiving not one hundred, but two hundred lashes now, because she was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

So far, President Bush has made no statement that he is as distressed and appalled as everyone else who hears about this travesty... and I don't believe he will because he wants to remain friends with the Oil-rich Arabians ... and really, it's just one girl. Right?

I did mention that I'm also horrified today...

Any thoughts ... other than just bomb the entire Middle East and turn it into a Arnold Palmer Golf Resort? Because that one was already tossed around at the dinner table...

And I have to reiterate here that I am the one always saying End The War ... and today...I was even thinking I might take up golf ...if ...

Just Kidding ...
It just all seems so hopeless some days doesn't it?

So even though I am disgruntled by our current policy, fed up with our current President, and totally outraged at our barbaric world neighbors...I am still thankful that I live in the USA and I am heartened that it is still a democracy. Let's keep it that way.

And just cause I can, cause it's my blog, I just want to say that I am thankful for Hillary Clinton, and whether or not you agree with me that she would be a stronger president than we have now, our country is a better place to live because even though she is just one voice, she damn well knows when to use it...

No comments: