5.07.2007

Something Has To Change

Today I was distracted and distressed all day...I thought it was because I lost a $600,000 Real Estate deal over the weekend, or maybe the pergola we're planning to build out back just blew my neurotransmitters, or maybe it was a million other details...I know when Sir Hotness asked me a dozen times today if I was okay, I nodded, "Yeah, okay, I'm fine."

But the truth is...
And I know any minute I'll type something that will piss somebody off...

Here we go...
This morning on NPR radio, they mentioned Greensburg, Kansas...and if you haven't heard about what happened on Friday...just watch the video I found on the Weather Channels website...
Here's my problem:
(photo: what used to be Greensburg)
A tornado LEVELED an entire town on Friday and the town has not received any government assistance. According to the talk I heard on NPR radio our National Guard (yeah, those guys who volunteer believing they are signing on to help our country in times of National disaster...) are tied up in Iraq, as are their big trucks (so no supplies coming from there) as are the big emergency tents (so any survivers won't have shelter.)

I am so pissed off about this I can't see straight. I can't even communicate about it with verging on hysteria...so I've kept my mouth shut all day.

Is anyone paying attention out there?

If anything REALLY SERIOUS happens in this country (not that Greensburg isn't serious because my god, yeah, a town was LEVELED) but we as a people are shit out of luck because the people who are supposed to be helping us are stuck in Iraq, not helping, not because they don't want to help...but because they can't.

And that's not all...
I searched using "Kansas" and "tornado" seeking more info this a.m. and came up with nothing. I had to go to the weather channel to find out anything (they found a survivor today)

I searched using "naked" and "mexicans" and I found art.

It seems even Naked Mexicans trump Dead Americans.

And please don't misconstrue that I don't like Mexicans or Iraqians because of this post...I love everybody...I'm just soooooooooo sad because people died in Kansas, people are missing, homes are lost, an entire town gone... and there isn't a damn thing I can do to change the horrible autrosity that is Iraq and the fact that our men are there instead of here.

This is a peek at the tornado, photograppher unknown:


My thoughts and prayers are with the survivors of Greensburg tonight.

5 comments:

Darragha! said...

You go, girl.
All the way to the polls in November.

Athena Grayson said...

[[[I understand]]]

There are too many lies around this war, and Katrina showed many of us that if natural disaster strikes, we are on our own because this government of cronyism cannot find its own ass with two hands and a flashlight.

My heart goes out to the people of Greensburg,and I'll be shifting extra pennies to Red Cross.

Anonymous said...

Well said, Roxy.

Rae

Lisa Andel said...

Hey Roxy, I agree with you. And Darragha, and Xandra.

There is something definitely wrong with our government.

btw, I've just tagged you for a meme. Go here to find out more: HERE

Anonymous said...

Good deal to you for letting people know about the tornado and how awful it was, Roxy. I feel for those poor people and the loss of their town. I understand from news reports the town might not even be rebuilt—it seems young people hadn’t been staying and the town was kind of working its way down. I just wanted to say that before NPR or some media outlet said it was Bush’s fault if the town doesn’t get restored.

I also think NPR needs to get a few more facts. The governor of Kansas did say at first she didn't have the equipment or supplies to help the town. Basically, instead of saying she needed help--which anyone can understand--she used the tragedy to make a statement on the war.

BUT when she was called on her comments, she relented, saying she did have what she needed, that everyone in the government has called to ask what she wanted done and how to supply it, and she said she HAD what she needed. She even complimented FEMA's response and what they've already started doing.

Katrina was a mess--not wholly due to the federal government, people tend to forget. I'm so sorry for the people in Greensburg, but according to the governor, they are receiving what they need. Private enterprise as well as government is stepping up to the plate. Not being there, I can only assume her first statements—which she’s corrected—were not as accurate as the media would like. JMO